Outward Bound is a non-profit adventure-based educational organization with programs that deliver character development and self-discovery in the wilderness, in cities, and in schools.
Reporting to the Day Program Manager, the PYC Facilitator and Community Coordinator will develop a coalition of providers, partners and institutions who will work together to improve police/youth relations in Baltimore. This person will maintain and strengthen the BCBOBS relationship with the Baltimore Police Department and work to build a partnership between BCBOBS and other local non-profits focused on forming a pipeline of programming for youth and Baltimore Police Officers to improve relationships and reduce youth delinquency through age-appropriate activities.
The position is 50% hands-on facilitation of the PYC and other day programs and 50% community building.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Primary facilitator for weekly PYC program with responsibility for officer briefing and program quality.
- Connect youth and adult participants of the BCBOBS Police Youth Challenge program to community programs which seeks to build upon the relationships established through the BCBOBS Police Youth Challenge program.
- Create roster of contacts, services and programs.
- Execute partner communication and establish reporting metrics.
- Track all relationships and communication of outcomes and results.
- Coordinate collection of participation results from Community Coalition members and prepare summary report.
- Develop and maintain relationships with non-profits with youth and mentorship programs and community leaders in order to actively engage them in Police Youth Challenge and youth mentorship programs.
- Maintain relationships with partner organizations to leverage resources and build opportunities for community engagement.
- Attend partner meetings to foster relationships with Baltimore City Police and mentorship programs and provide updates to both community members and program staff.
- Manage multiple projects at once, requiring ability to address multiple tasks in different project phases, strong time management, effective communication both internally and externally and strong planning skills.
- Organize/participate in BCBOBS internal and external meetings/events.
- Facilitate one to two other day programs during program season.
Demonstrable Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
BCBOBS is recruiting a candidate with an entrepreneurial mindset and the following skills:
- Proficiency in clerical skills (word processing, filing, telephone etiquette). Must be proficient in use of Microsoft Office software applications. Must be able to motivate and coach community members and volunteers. Possess excellent communication skills.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills necessary to work with a variety of organizations in forming an effective collaborative. Able to prioritize work assignments and recognize the need for additional guidance. Ability to take appropriate individual initiative.
- Strong face to face, telephone, and digital communications skill for interaction with coalition community members and Baltimore Police Department staff regarding meeting scheduling and program results. Comfort with frequent contact with vendors, colleagues and outside partners. Must have enthusiasm, passion and commitment for building strong community relations within the city of Baltimore and experience motivating and mobilizing community members to complete various projects. Must have the ability to speak about community partnering to the public and strong written and oral communication skills
- Results oriented
- Adaptive and efficient under pressure.
Education and Work Experience
- Passion for the outdoors, challenge and adventure.
- Experience working with youth.
- Community work experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required.
- Ability to participate in vigorous to moderate physical activity
- Ability to lift and move a minimum of 40 pounds.
Compensation & Benefits
- The salary range for this position is $28,000-$37,000. Pay will be commensurate with experience.
- Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance (BCOBS contributes 75% to individual coverage monthly premiums) and fully employer-paid employee assistance program (EAP), long-term disability, short term disability, and life insurance.
- Employees are eligible to participate in a 401K, with a match up to 6% of salary, after one year of employment.
- This is a full-time benefited position. General work hours are 7:30am-4:00pm with evening and weekend hours required at times.
- Sitting at a desk or computer 25-30% of time or greater at times.
Please submit resume and cover letter via email to Avi Rubinsky, Program Manager, at email@example.com
Baltimore Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound School is an EOE/ADA employer. Baltimore Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound School prohibits discrimination against any student or applicant because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, qualified individuals with disabilities on the basis of disability, or any other category which may be protected by applicable state or federal law. Baltimore Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound School also promotes respect for all people and will not tolerate harassment based on any of these characteristics nor on differences based on gender identity or expression.